Life is a journey you never know when is your next destination.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Blessing in Disguise


A Pencil Version of Petronas Twin Towers by My 6-Year-Old Son

A simple pencil drawing made by my 6-year-old son reminded me of something beautiful today.

It was his version of the Petronas Twin Towers—not perfect, not drawn by a professional artist, but created with innocent hands and a heart full of imagination. Looking at his drawing made me realize that sometimes the simplest things can hold the deepest memories.

I consider Malaysia my second home. Since it is just a short distance from my country of origin, I always thought that whenever I missed the Philippines, my family, my friends, or my relatives, I could simply go back because it is only about a two-hour journey away.

But when you become a mother, your decisions are no longer only about yourself. You begin to consider your children's needs, their growth, their experiences, and their future. Sometimes, I have to set aside my own longing for home because I know that this season of our lives has a purpose.

There were moments when I missed everything familiar—the people I love, the places where I grew up, and the comfort of being surrounded by family. But today, on Mother's Day, God reminded me that there are still countless blessings waiting to be discovered in this country we now call home.

The day started with my monthly check-up, and once again, I thanked God for giving me a loving and supportive husband who continues to walk beside me through every season of life. Along this journey, we have also been blessed to meet many wonderful people who have made our stay in Malaysia more meaningful.

If I were to describe Malaysia in my own words, I would say that it is a country filled with beautiful places and, most importantly, beautiful people. Of course, the beaches, tourist attractions, food, and impressive buildings are amazing, but what truly makes a place special are the people who make you feel welcomed.

On this Mother's Day, I experienced something unexpected. Our first taxi driver of the day gave us a lesson that was more valuable than any parenting seminar I could have attended.

During our short 10-minute ride, he shared his experiences as a father and talked about his relationship with his children. He was already around 60 years old, but the love and wisdom in his words were unforgettable. As he shared his stories, I could not stop myself from feeling emotional. I even had tears in my eyes because, in those few minutes, he reminded me of what truly matters in parenting.

He taught me that raising children is not only about providing for their needs but also about building a relationship with them—being present, listening, understanding, and creating memories that they will carry in their hearts.

Who would have thought that a simple taxi ride could teach me lessons that felt like they came from years of experience?

On our way home, we met another wonderful taxi driver. Maybe it was truly my day to receive unexpected blessings. He shared stories about the old buildings we passed by, explaining their history and how the people before them sacrificed so much to build and preserve those places.

Listening to him made me realize how much Malaysians value their culture, heritage, and ancestors. Their love and pride for their country were so inspiring. For a moment, I felt like I was a tourist with my own personal tour guide, learning stories that were not written only in books but were kept alive through the memories of the people.

This experience reminded me that sometimes God places us in unfamiliar places not to make us feel lost, but to help us discover new blessings.

Maybe Malaysia was not part of my original plan, but it has become part of my story. Through this country, I have learned new lessons, met kind-hearted people, experienced different cultures, and created beautiful memories with my family.

And now, seeing my son's pencil version of the Petronas Twin Towers, I realize that Malaysia is not just a place we lived in. It has become a place where my children are growing, learning, and creating their own memories.

A simple drawing from a 6-year-old child became a reminder that home is not always defined by where we were born. Sometimes, home is where God allows us to grow, love, learn, and experience His blessings.

Thank you, Malaysia, for becoming a beautiful chapter of our lives.

I love you, Malaysia. ❤️



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails